The 2019 Hurricane Season Is Upon Us
Be prepared now for the 2019’s hurricane season which begins June 1 and ends November 30. Be ready by:
Before the Storm:
• Signing up for SmartHub to report outages or use our Outage Reporting Number: 1-800-410-4790
• Updating your account's contact information for call back notifications and outage updates.
• Putting together an emergency kit and plan. Fill your kit with a flashlight, batteries, cash, first aid supplies, medications, and copies of your critical information if you need to evacuate.
• Knowing the elevation level of your property and whether the land is flood-prone. This will help you prepare for the storm surge and any tidal flooding.
• Securing your home: cover all windows with either storm shutters or boards, clear loose and clogged rain gutters, and bring all outdoor furniture indoors.
• Learning about your community' hurricane evacuation routes.
During the Storm:
• Listening to the radio or TV for information, if possible.
• Avoiding using the phone, unless there is an emergency.
• Turning off utilities if instructed to do so. Otherwise, keep the refrigerator thermostat on the coldest setting and keep the doors closed.
After the Storm:
• Staying away from loose or dangling power lines and report them immediately to Choptank Electric Cooperative.
• Avoiding flood water as it may be electrically charged from underground or downed power lines and may hide dangerous debris or places where the ground is washed away.
• Driving only if necessary and avoid flooded roads. Watch out for fallen objects, downed power lines, and weakened walls, bridges, or sidewalks.
• NEVER using a generator inside homes, garages, crawlspaces, sheds, or similar areas. Deadly levels of carbon monoxide can quickly build up in these areas.
For more tips on planning before, during, and after the storm, visit www.ready.gov/hurricanes.